Thursday, April 12, 2007

Vote For Me - I Don't Care What You Think

I wasn’t going to blog about this because it’s now a four day old story and hopefully everyone knows about it. My cynical side unfortunately thinks that more people probably know who the father of Anna Nicole’s baby is than what John McCain had to say in a 60 Minutes interview. After going back and reading my previous posts however, I thought it best to comment on it and bring this McCain chapter to a close, albeit temporarily.

It seems that the Straight Talk Express has rolled off the highway yet again and admitted as much. John McCain, one of the Republican contenders for the Presidential Primary basically said he doesn't really care about the wants of the American people his struggling campaign is desparate for. Seems like the Bush "my way or the highway" attitude we so love.


PELLEY: I wonder, at what point do you stop doing what you think is right and you start doing what the majority of the American people want?

MCCAIN: Well again, I disagree with what the majority of the American people want.


Dead man walking. With that one sentence, McCain killed any hope of a Presidential run.

But there’s more. Mr. Straight Talk was then asked about certain comments that he made regarding the safety in Baghdad after his "safe stroll" though Baghdad's Shorja marketplace:

PELLEY: Before you came on this trip, you mentioned in an interview that General Petraeus sometimes goes into Baghdad in an unarmored Humvee, and that there were neighborhoods that you could walk throughout without being concerned for your safety.


MCCAIN: There is no unarmored Humvees -- obviously, that's the case. I'm trying to make the point over and over and over again that we are making progress. And there are signs of progress, that it's long, and it's hard and it's tough. To take one sentence of mine out of 1,000 -- you know, life isn't fair. But the fact is that's my message.

PELLEY: You were a little annoyed with yourself, I think, having said that.

MCCAIN: Oh, sure. But look, as long as you are as open to the media as I am, of course I'm going to misspeak. I have done it on numerous occasions, and I probably will in the future. I regret that when I divert attention to something that I've said from my message. But, you know, that's just life, and I'm happy, frankly, with the way that I operate. Otherwise, it'd be a lot less fun.

Substitute the word “lie” for the word “misspeak” and it’s all too clear. And he's happy with the way he operates? Sure, he'll lie if he can get away with it. If he gets caught, well, oops, heh heh, you got me.


And that line about “life isn’t fair” surely fits now, not for McCain but for 21 shopkeepers of the very market Mr. Straight Talk strolled through that were executed the day after his neighborhood walk. I haven’t heard very much about that in the liberal media. But I suppose "that's just life", right Maverick?

All aboard the Straight Jacket Express.

No comments:

 
ShareThis