Monday, July 7, 2008

Obama Smear E-mail Update

I've been away for the holiday weekend and obviously haven't done much blogging, but so far I haven't received a return e-mail in response to the one I sent to Mr. Brown. I did receive an anonymous comment that I hope will develop into something.

"I personally know THIS Gary McDermott. He was stationed with the 146th at Vung Tau, RVN as a crew chief on CH-47 Chinook heavy lift helicopters based out of Vung Tau.

I'll be more than happy to forward your blog address to him and he can answer any questions you may have."
Stay tuned.

UPDATE (11:55pm): Another commenter

"#1CubsFanTX said...

Couldn't the Gary McDermott from this organization be one in the same?
http://www.vaughanpva.org/newsletters%202007/2006-2007%20Annual%20Report.pdf
I'm just tired people forwarding e-mails like this before they investigate if the are even true. Good Luck."

That led me to a site called Vaughan PVA (Paralyzed Veterans of America) listing a Gary McDermott as it Chapter President with an e-mail address "gmac" as the name? Same Gary McDermott? Let's find out. I sent him an e-mail as well requesting more information.

From: Broadway Carl
To: Gary McDermott, Vaughan PVA
Subject: Regarding an E-Mail Using Your Name
July 8th, 2008 12:08am


Dear Mr. McDermott,

I am writing to you in regards to an e-mail I received entitled, “A Disabled Vet Speaks about Obama.”

In it, the writer speaks of having attended a local college to listen to Senator Obama speak, and after having asked a question regarding what the Senator plans to do in regards to veterans care, the writer claims that he was dismissed, was told to give contact information to an aide, and that he never heard from them again.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much pertinent information to verify this story except for the writer's name and unit. It was signed, "Gary McDermott, 147th ASH Hillclimbers, Vung Tau, RVN 68-69."

In a Google search using that information, I came across a comment posted in TampaBay.com
(http://blogs.tampabay.com/buzz/2008/06/sen-geller-supp.html#comment-118486902
) which is an exact copy as the e-mail I received.

A quick Google search of the name and unit above also brought me to the 147th Hillclimbers website and a Gary McDermott is in fact listed as a member. An e-mail I sent to that site has yet to be answered.

If you are the same Gary McDermott, in an effort to verify the validity of this story I was hoping you could help with more specific information as to where and when your interaction with Senator Obama took place. There is so much happening with both campaigns that it’s hard to keep any story straight and completely factual. Both sides will spin to their advantage and I’m just trying to get to the truth.

As a matter of complete disclosure, I am an Obama supporter but I am not affiliated with the Obama campaign or the campaign website in any way. I'm just a concerned citizen who is trying to keep informed and search for the truth. I am also chronicling this exchange on my own personal blog and wanted to let you know that your correspondence to me would be public.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

I'm hoping for a response.

No comments:

 
ShareThis