Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Brothers Krongard

Howard "Cookie" Krongard, the embattled State Department inspector general who has been accused of impeding a Justice Department investigation of Blackwater Worldwide and other inquiries, announced his resignation on Friday.

Cookie resigned on the slowest news day of the week, as all cowards are wont to do.

You may remember Cookie in the investigation of the $740 million Iraq US Embassy that has yet to open. On September 18, 2007, House Oversight Committee chairman Henry Waxman charged Krongard with actively impeding probes into waste and corruption related to the Iraq War and other matters. Waxman informed Krongard that allegations of witness intimidation had been made against Krongard's staff. Aides to Krongard threatened two U.S. State Department investigators with retaliation, including termination of their jobs, if they cooperated with the investigations into Blackwater USA and Krongard, according to a report released by the U.S. House of Representatives.Krongard directly interfered with federal prosecutors when they asked his office for help with investigating possible Blackwater arms smuggling.

When asked what relationship his brother and former CIA official Alvin "Buzzy" Krongard had with Blackwater, Cookie stated, "I can tell you, very frankly, I am not aware of any financial interest or position he has with respect to Blackwater. When these ugly rumors started recently, I specifically asked him. I do not believe it is true that he is a member of the advisory board that you stated. And that's something I think I need to say."

Well, right in the middle of the investigation, Cookie said this after a recess. "During the break, I did contact my brother. I learned that he had been at the advisory board meeting yesterday. I had not been aware of that. And I want to state on the record right now that I hereby recuse myself from any matters having to do with Blackwater."

Buzzy quit advising Blackwater two days later.

Did anyone see this on Fox News?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Almost like the time al (demented)damato claimed he didn't know his brother was using his office stationery to lobby other senators on behalf of his clients.

 
ShareThis