Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mitt Romney Doesn't Know How Video Works...

...or else he'd probably try not contradicting himself at such a dramatic rate.

Mitt Romney, June 3rd, 2011: "I don’t speak for the scientific community, of course," Romney said. "But I believe the world’s getting warmer. I can’t prove that, but I believe based on what I read that the world is getting warmer. And number two, I believe that humans contribute to that … so I think it’s important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may well be significant contributors to the climate change and the global warming that you’re seeing."
And there's video to verify his quote.
Mitt Romney, July 18th, 2001, just 6½ weeks later: "...I support reasonable standards. … Do I support the EPA? In much of its mission yes, but in some of its mission no. The EPA getting into carbon footprints, and… [APPLAUSE] I think we may have made a mistake, we have made a mistake is what I believe, in saying that the EPA should regulate carbon emissions. I don’t think that was the intent of the original legislation, and I don’t think carbon is a pollutant in the sense of harming our bodies."
And there's video to verify his quote.

What happened between June 3rd and July 18th that made Mitt Romney hedge his original statement?
Rush Limbaugh took Mitt Romney to task today for saying he believes in man-made global warming. After playing the clip of Romney’s comments, Rush said, “Bye, bye nomination. Another one down.”
Now, technically, are Romney's two statements different? Yes. But are they significantly linked? Of course.

If you believe greenhouse gases are in fact causing the earth to warm, causing oceans to rise, causing weather patterns to become more and more severe, causing natural disasters like tornadoes and hurricanes to become fiercer and more frequent as a result, then the "harm to our bodies" may come in the form of houses crashing down on us or hurricanes flooding out towns and causing mass drowning, and not a conflation between "pollutants and greenhouse gases."

Romney knows this and is trying to make it all nuance-y to walk back his statement (his correct statement) that man contributes to climate change, but hey, Mitt's gotta keep his GOP masters happy, right?

5 comments:

Janicket said...

What must it be like to go through life as a hollow man, no core beliefs, no genuine passion other than getting wealth and power for their own sake, not in service to any vision of good beyond one's own? To pander to any and every prejudice of the moment, every tug and push of this instant's tide? To bootlick cretins, to scurry to obey the blattings of malevolent liars, no matter how rudderless and contemptible it reveals one to be?

And to do it all, robotic, driven, in a quest of hopeless futility?

NowhereMan said...

I always wonder how politicians especially a guy like Romney looks himself in the mirror every morning.Is he thinking who shall I be today?He does so many back flips he should sign with Ringling Bros.

buckeyetater said...

Allen West 2012 !!!

jhw22 said...

Dude, get a life. Going to blogs to post lame opposition is so 2010.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I know why you support West cuz he has higher security clearance than the President according to West's own words. I think it's sweet that assholes can find a niche.
Desert Crone

 
ShareThis