Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Main Reason I Don't Have An iPhone

As my wife will attest, I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to tech toys, not necessarily that I know how they work or want to know, but that they're fun to have. But the main reason I don't have an iPhone is because of their exclusive service contract with AT & T.

I'm very happy with my Verizon service. The area coverage is better than any other provider I've experienced. And until Verizon is included in a list of providers that Apple will sign on with, I'm sticking to whatever phone Verizon is willing to use. Currently, I'm on a Treo but planning on upgrading to a BlackBerrry with my next contract renewal.

I've been tempted by the iPhone before. Then I read this:

Subscribers with an iPhone 3G who are not eligible for an upgrade -- those not near the end of their two-year contracts -- can still upgrade to an iPhone 3G S, but must pay $200 more.

...AT&T will offer the
new iPhone 3G S when it debuts later this month at a cost of $199 and $299 for the 16GB and 32GB models, respectively, to new customers and those who qualify for the discounted price.

AT&T subscribers with an iPhone 3G who are not eligible for an upgrade -- those not near the end of their two-year contracts -- can still upgrade to an iPhone 3G S, but must pay $200 more -- $399 for the 16GB model and $499 for the 32GB model.

Without a contract commitment or upgrade discount, the iPhone 3G S costs $599 for the 16GB model and $699 for the 32GB model.

Now granted, I'm not the kind of freak that needs the new and improved upgrade the day it's released, so I'm not really too concerned about all those Mac people (you know who you are) jonesing for the latest, greatest Apple toy, but for AT & T to bilk loyal customers who stick with their crappy service solely for the purpose of having an iPhone seems to me a low point for customer service. They may have one of the best ad campaigns out there, but their network and public relations suck.

2 comments:

Fraulein said...

You hear this all the time -- it seems like their customer service is terrible for all their products, at least judging by the amount of complaining I hear from friends trying to get service on Mac computers and iPods.

Chris Anderson said...

You could always skip the phone part altogether and just get an ipos touch. The apps make it worth it, it's waaay cheaper than the phone, and the wifi still allows you to connect to the net.

 
ShareThis