Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Obama On Trade: We Can't Afford More Of The Same

Barack Obama spoke to the Alliance for Ameican Manufacturing in Pittsburgh, and spoke to them like adults, not children. He spoke the truth.

Not every job that has left is coming back. And not every job lost is due to trade –automation has made plants more efficient so they can make the same amount of steel with few workers. These are the realities.

I also don't oppose all trade deals. I voted for two of them because they have the worker and environmental agreements I believe in. Some of you disagreed with me on this but I did what I thought was right.

That's the truth. But let me tell you what else I believe in:

For America to win, American workers have to win, too. If CEO pay keeps rising, while the standard of living for their workers continues to decline, that's not a win for America.

That's why I opposed NAFTA, it's why I opposed CAFTA, and it's why I said any trade agreement I would support had to contain real, enforceable standards for workers.

That's why I believe the Permanent Normalized Trade agreement with China didn't do enough to ensure fairness and compliance.

Now, you can have a debate about whether my position is right or wrong. But here's what you can't do. You can't spend the better part of two decades campaigning for NAFTA and PNTR for China, and then come here to Pennsylvania, and tell the steelworkers you've been with them all along. You can't say you are opposed to the Columbia Trade deal, while your key strategist is working for the Columbian government to get the deal passed.

That's not respect. That's just more of the same old Washington politics. And we can't afford more of the same.


Read more here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure he's gonna hammer her on the head with that.Also should bring up the fact that Mark Penn still works for the campaign and that Bill is for CAFTA.

 
ShareThis