Saturday, August 4, 2012

Let's Be Clear on "Hate"

POSTED BY JHW22

I keep seeing a Rick Warren quote popping up on Facebook. Hell, I don't know if he really said it but here it is:

"Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear them or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate." -Rick Warren
Days after all the Chik-Fil-A crap, and some people STILL don't understand that the left isn't mad about what the head of Chick-fil-a SAID. We're pissed at what he DID. He funded groups that take rights away from gay people -- preventing them from marrying, adopting, getting jobs and in parts of the world LIVING. Yes, the head of Chick-fil-a helps fund a group that supports the execution of gays in Africa.

You can SAY that doesn't mean he hates gay people if you want. But when you support people being executed for being gay, I guess you can say Hitler didn't hate gays when he sent them to the camps.

Semantics, I guess.

And really, when you use the "it doesn't mean I hate them" as a distraction from the real issue that you oppose civil rights, it's as if you're defensive about being called a hater. Gee, I think a gay person is probably MORE defensive about having their rights taken away.



2 comments:

Daniel said...

Thank you! I keep seeing this on Facebook also - and from some supporters! ?! I was so frustrated I googled it. It's a deceiving quote, I think. It can be read to say "all you bible thumpers, stop fearing and hating gay people" (how the supporters see it). But, I think Rick Warren meant it to mean "I can hate you by withholding your rights and not call it hate". A rose is a rose is a rose

jhw22 said...

Daniel,

I thought the same thing. One friend posted it and I was kind of confused because she is a marriage equality supporter. So I thought maybe she was speaking to the right, saying "We don't hate you just because we're boycotting you". Then I saw others post it and it was definitely the "I don't hate you because you're gay, I just think you're a sinner who should have the same rights I do" message.

That's when I snapped. :)

Jennifer

 
ShareThis