Thursday, November 30, 2006

Jim Webb, My New Hero

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

(Webb) was attending a reception for newly elected senators, and he declined an invitation to be photographed with Bush. Webb was forthright in disagreeing with Bush on the campaign trail and called the Iraq war a "strategic blunder of historic proportions."
Afterward Bush approached him and offered, "Congratulations." Webb thanked the president and introduced his wife to the chief executive. Bush went on, "How is your boy?"
Webb, who notes that he wouldn't talk during the campaign about his son stationed in Iraq, answered with a response something like, "I would like to see them come home."
Bush wasn't deterred, saying, "I didn't ask you that, I said how's your boy."
Webb held firm. "It's between me and my son. Me and my boy," he insisted.
Of Bush's question, Webb said yesterday, "I think even he would probably understand that's a little bit over the line." He said the question was not an easy one to answer "when your son's in combat."


Read the full article here.

No comments:

 
ShareThis