Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Relief and Decompression


Credits: Stan Honda/ Getty

Did you feel it this morning? I did. The sky was a little brighter. The grass was a little greener. The air seemed fresher... even in New York City. I have never been happier to start a sixteen hour work day in my entire life. There's a spring in my step and a tune on my lips - something that had not come easily for quite a long time.

The weight of eight years of darkness and oppression and failed policies of the party in the Executive office was lifted off the collective shoulders of the American people; off the shoulders of all the American people, even if almost half of them don't even realize it.

Perhaps all of us can now take a breath, sit still for just a few moments and enjoy what we were a part of last night. After a twenty-one month presidential race filled with such emotion, we should take a second to stop and smell the roses. But just for a second because the work is only just beginning. All of this work was just to get to the start line. We now have to hold our elected representatives accountable, something that hasn't happened lo these last eight years. We are nowhere near finished.

There are those who would think the worst at this point in time. Already, less than twenty-four hours after one of the most important history making moments of our nation, come whispers of assassination fantasies and media personalities creating false premises to rationalize the obvious. There exists flat out hate and fear mongering (warning - link leads to Rush Limbaugh website) and it's only going to increase exponentially unless we take the bull by the horns and wrestle it to the ground. We have to come together as one and police ourselves. We have to call out not only those in opposition, but when needed call out our elected officials and put their feet to the fire when it's called for.

The work is just beginning... but it's off to a goddamn great start.

4 comments:

Fraulein said...

The emotion was so overwhelming last night -- I got a chill down my spine the first time I heard one of the news anchors say "President-elect Obama." I'm so proud that so many people understood, finally, how important it was to elect someone competent to lead us. But there's no question there is a ton of work still to be done. It's just nice to feel energized to start doing it for a change, instead of only feeling demoralized about the state of the country.

Anonymous said...

HEEEEEY Broadway!!!! Scribblechic here. We did it! Did you see Nevada turn blue? That was me baby! The Drive for Change campaign was indeed a success. Nevada is my legacy to my daughter. Being called the "N" word a few times and knocking on all those doors with other dreamers and believers was totally worth it.
Next up- beating back the Yes on 8 haters with my big ole Progressive Liberal container of whoop ass!
YES WE CAN!!!!!

Broadway Carl said...

Congratulations, Scribblechic! Pretty incredible. I was rooting for more blue on the map even after I knew it was locked up and my jaw hit the floor with Nevada, although my wife thought it would turn blue because she occasionally goes to Vegas for business and sees the influx of younger people there.

Awesome job! And yes, Prop 8 is next. I can't believe it passed. I didn't even think it was going to be close.

Anonymous said...

well I'm proud to say that the SF Bay Area voted overwhelmingly NO. Only one county in the Bay Area said yes and that was Solano County. My daughter is gonna be so sad when I tell her we can no longer visit grampa's house until he relocates. LOL

 
ShareThis